Lafarge in Canada is proud to provide construction solutions in the buildings, infrastructure and industrial segments. These solutions are built with high performance products from our cement, aggregates, ready-mix concrete, asphalt and road construction, and concrete products divisions. From the use of alternative materials and recycling to renewable energy, Lafarge's focus is to develop innovative products that can contribute toward sustainably constructed building solutions. Lafarge takes personal growth and development to heart, and provides resources for our employees to take control of their own careers. Through our commitment to communities, to the health and safety of our employees and their families, or through the many volunteer hours of our employees, Lafarge demonstrates our care for people. If you want to work in an environment that values hard work, entrepreneurship, and collaborative teamwork, Lafarge is for you. Building Better Cities is what we do. Come Build a Better Career with us! More information can be found at www.lafarge.ca/careers .
This position's prime objective is to ensure the optimal functioning of the production process from the raw mix preparation to the cement silos with respect to quality and production objectives, daily planning and plant safety and environment procedures.
· Is a role model for Safety. Ensures highest regard to safety, safe operation including daily safety talks, Field Level Risk Assessments (FLRAs), inspections, etc.
· Participates in development and implementation of safety rules and procedures. Carry out monthly safety meetings and seek to resolve all safety actions raised by the crew.
· Ensure process operators (A and B Ops) are held accountable for the work schedule and performance in order to achieve departmental objectives and plant targets.
· Review with the crew, the instructions left by the Production
· Coordinator, ensure execution of the jobs or tasks as defined and the operating parameters/guidelines are correctly followed.
· Monitor the operation of those areas, detect malfunction or abnormal situation and take or trigger the necessary corrective actions.
· Evaluate possible cause of breakdown, determine urgency of corrective actions and call in repair crew as appropriate.
· Oversee quality control activities on shift.
· Assure follow-up and feedback in relation to ongoing process studies and trials.
· Assure follow-up and feedback on mechanical/electrical repairs and/or modifications.
· Be responsible for site security of the overall plant in the off-hours and assist with plant visitors, removal of property, receipt of merchandise, access to stores, etc.
· Maintain an accurate and detailed account of shift activities and operation, both qualitative and quantitative in the Shift Report.
· Supervise call-outs and report back on work performed.
· Prepare work orders for all repairs or corrective actions that need planned scheduling or immediate attention.
· Perform Level 2 First Aid Attendant duties, Incident Commander duties and Emergency Response Team (ERT) Leader duties as required.
The incumbent will also, from time to time, and for limited periods, be assigned to days where he/she will be involved in the following:
· Conduct specific studies or trials with Process department
· Prepare procedures or other operating guidelines.
· Provide formal training
· Supervise implementation of specific jobs or projects
· Assist in major equipment shutdowns
·post secondary education at a technical college or related subject
·minimum 8 years of cement kiln operation and / or 5 years of shift supervisor experience for cement kilns.
·Proven leadership / supervisory experience within a manufacturing environment
·Good knowledge of all applicable safety and environmental laws and regulations
·Knowledge of the principles of main cement manufacturing equipment (FK pump, pulse jet dust collectors, airslides, bucket elevators, belt conveyors, etc.) along with Cement production or similar continuous process operation
·Problem solving methods and tools (Root Cause Failure Analysis, Risk Analysis).
·Good knowledge of product quality parameters and of quality control (QC) test.
·Ability to conduct sensory inspections of equipment to detect abnormal conditions.
·Knowledge of lubrication principles and specificities for each equipment
·Basic knowledge of electricity principles and instrumentation (Energy Isolation, basic troubleshooting skills and general awareness of arc flash and electrical hazards).
·Ability to prioritize actions, make decisions and multitask effectively
·Good communication and interpersonal skills at all levels (peers, managers and direct reports).
Pre-employment medical including drug & alcohol testing and a criminal record check may be required.
As the world leader in the building materials industry, LafargeHolcim Ltd and its subsidiaries have the assets necessary to meet the building and design challenges of today’s increasing urbanization. Globally, LafargeHolcim has 115,000 employees, a well-balanced local presence in 90 countries and combined net sales of CHF 33 billion (EUR 27 billion) in 2014. With the most innovative cement, concrete, and aggregates solutions, strong R&D and a commitment to health, safety, and sustainability, LafargeHolcim has the building solutions to meet customers’ needs, from the individual homebuilder to the largest and most complex project. We are committed to drive sustainable solutions for better building and infrastructure while contributing to a higher quality of life. We are positioned to deliver on this commitment.